This internship position will assist the Australian Maritime Analysis Group (AMAG) with refining, running and post-processing agent-based models. The Australian Maritime Analysis Group provides senior decision makers within the Australian Defence Force with timely and objective assessments affecting their investment strategies. The group’s primary focus is providing technical analysis and program management support to the Australian Defence Force - Force Design Division and Royal Australian Navy, including client site support in Canberra, Australia. Our team of experienced military professionals and operations research analysts integrate naval warfare expertise with advanced analytic methods - including force generation modeling, agent-based tactical simulations, and operational mission analyses - to deliver strategies that redress capacity and capability gaps.
The intern will be responsible for refining and expanding existing force- and mission-level GCAM® (agent-based) models. The intern will be responsible for the following modeling tasks: (1) developing an understanding of the existing model and data structures (2) coding and validating model changes, (3) developing and applying tools to manipulate large amounts of output data, (4) assessing force employment constructs and utility of platform capability upgrades. The work involves independent study, research & development activities, collaboration with military and operations research analysts, and briefings to senior program managers.
· Applications can be submitted from 15 November 2019 date to 31 December 2019
· Applications will be reviewed through 03 January 2020.
· Interviews will be conducted through 17 January 2019.
· Decisions (offers) will be extended starting 20 January 2019.
· Rising junior.
· Proficiency in SQL or Microsoft Access.
· Experience in utilizing C++ (or other object oriented language).
· Experience or interest in mathematical optimization, particularly linear and/or integer programming.
· Modeling and simulation experience using stochastic agent-based models.
· Programming experience developing quick-turn analytic tools.
· Experience in parametric analysis and design of experiments.
· Possess an interest and a desire to use analysis in solving difficult national security issues.
· Be a returning SPA intern with GCAM® experience.